How to Create A Global Product Attribute – WooCommerce 
- Last updated on: 7 mins read
When running a WooCommerce store, you can attract more relevant buyers by highlighting as many unique features of a product as possible.
WooCommerce allows you to add product attributes that you can use to define your products’ notable features.
For example, when selling a shirt, you can use product attributes to define its pattern or color.
However, it is necessary to be able to use product attributes in an organized way to save time and get the best results.
Today, you will get a step-by-step guide on how you can add Global Product Attributes to your WooCommerce products easily.
So let’s get started.
What Is A WooCommerce Product Attribute
A product attribute is usually used to represent a certain feature of a product. And attribute terms define the different ways that feature applies to a product.
– Color is a feature and can be called an attribute.
– Blue, Red, and Green are different types of colors and can be referred to as attribute terms.
You can use product attributes to further describe your product, for example, you can offer a t-shirt and state that it is red in color.
You can also use them to create product variations within your WooCommerce store for people to choose from. For example, you can have a t-shirt in 3 colors.
Now there are two types of product attributes.
- Global Product Attribute
– Product attribute that can be used for many different products
- Custom Product Attribute
– Product attribute used for a specific product only
In this guide, I will show you how you can create and use a Global Product Attribute for your WooCommerce products. Then later, in a second guide, I will show you how you can create a Custom Product Attribute for an individual product.
So let’s dive into it.
How To Create A Global Product Attribute In WooCommerce
Once you follow the steps below, you will be able to add global product attributes easily in your WooCommerce store.
Step 1 – Add A New Attribute
1. On your dashboard, go to Products > Attributes.
Here, you will see the option to add a new attribute.
**Any attribute you add here is considered a global attribute.
2. Input a name and slug for the attribute in their respective fields.
For example, you can name it ‘Color’ and assign the slug, ‘color.’
3. Then click on the ‘Add attribute‘ button below.
You will see that the attribute is added on the right side.
Here, I have added an attribute called Color.
Step 2 – Add Attribute Terms
1. On the right side of the attribute, under the Terms, you will see an option called Configure Terms. Click on it.
It will take you to the page where you can add terms for this attribute.
You can see on top it says Product Color. That’s because earlier, I named the attribute as Color. If I would name the attribute as Size, then it would say Product Size. (Same goes for the button below that says Add new color.)
The terms you create here will be the attribute terms you can use to define the features of a product (which I’ll show you in a bit later).
2. Input an attribute term name and slug in their respective fields, and add a description to it if you want to.
For example, you can name it ‘Blue,’ and assign the slug ‘blue.’
3. Then click on the Add New Color button below. You will see that the color term is added on the right side.
You can add more terms in the same way. I have added two more, Green and Red.
So far, you have a global product attribute called Collor and its corresponding attribute terms – Blue, Green, and Red.
You can repeat the whole process to add more global attributes along with their terms.
How To Use A Global Product Attribute For Your Products
Once you have created a global product attribute, now you can use it to describe your products.
Follow the steps below to learn how you can use it.
1. First Edit or Create a Product and scroll down to the Product Data Section.
Here, choose the product type (for example Simple product or Variable Product) and fill out the basic required data in the General, Inventory, Shipping, and Linked Products menus.
2. Go to the Attributes menu.
3. Here, you can see there is a dropdown menu that says Custom product attribute.
Click on it and you will get the list of Global product attributes you created.
Select the one you want to use.
4. We created the Color attribute earlier. So you can select that and click on the Add button.
It will create a Color section there.
5. Under values, if you click on the field, you will get to choose from the terms you created earlier for this Attribute.
Since we created Blue, Green, and Red, clicking here should let you choose from these 3 options.
6. You can choose the one you want to use for this product.
For example, if you want to state that this product’s color is Blue, then you can choose Blue.
And on the left side, you can see the option “Visible on the product page”. That is check-marked by default, which means this attribute term will be displayed on the Product page.
If it’s a variable product and you want to use this attribute to create variations, then you can choose multiple terms, or you can click on Select all to add all of them.
You can then mark the check box that says used for variations (right above the Save Attribute button), and later, generate variants from the Variations tab on the left side.
7. Then click on the Save attribute button and this attribute will be saved for this product.
So based on your theme, this attribute will be displayed on the product page.
When Should You Use A Global Product Attribute
WooCommerce allows you to create global attributes that can be applied later to any new or existing products.
Basically, a global product attribute is a common attribute that you might want to use for several products in your WooCommerce store.
Let’s say you have a clothing store that sells T-shirts, trousers, socks, and shoes. A common attribute for all of these products could be the Size.
Instead of setting up a new custom attribute for the size of each new product you add, you can rather create a global product attribute called Size, and define its terms to represent the various sizes.
Then you can add the Size attribute to your products and assign different terms to indicate what size they are in, in the same way as you did in this guide for color.
So to conclude, you should create and use global product attributes when you want to re-use them to define the features of multiple products in your WooCommerce store.
It will save you time and keep your WooCommerce store more organized.
As you can see, it is really convenient to use a global product attribute, and hopefully, this guide was easy to follow.
- You can also check out this guide to setup WooCommerce variable products for your store.
In the next guide, you will learn how you can create and use a custom product attribute for your products.
A custom product attribute is mainly useful when you want to add a unique product feature that you will probably not use in most other products. So it has its own benefits.
Feel free to let us know your thoughts on this guide in the comments below.